NEW YORK (
-- Dow Chemical
) has been reiterated by TheStreet Ratings as a buy with a ratings score of B. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its good cash flow from operations, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself.
- ACTIVE STOCK TRADERS: Check out TheStreet's special offer for Real Money, headlined by Jim Cramer, now!
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 70.85% to -$51.00 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, DOW CHEMICAL has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 6.09%.
- DOW CHEMICAL's earnings per share declined by 35.2% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, DOW CHEMICAL increased its bottom line by earning $2.05 versus $1.73 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.50 versus $2.05).
- DOW, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 1.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 0.1%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- DOW's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.89 is somewhat low overall, but it is high when compared to the industry average, implying that the management of the debt levels should be evaluated further. Regardless of the somewhat mixed results with the debt-to-equity ratio, the company's quick ratio of 1.05 is sturdy.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. In comparison to the other companies in the Chemicals industry and the overall market, DOW CHEMICAL's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
The Dow Chemical Company manufactures and supplies chemical products used as raw materials in the manufacture of customer products and services worldwide. The company has a P/E ratio of 18.2, equal to the average conglomerates industry P/E ratioand above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Dow Chemical has a market cap of $40.36 billion and is part of the
industry. Shares are up 14.4% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday.
You can view the full
or get investment ideas from our
--Written by a member of TheStreet Ratings Staff.
TheStreet ratings do not represent the views of TheStreet's staff or its contributors. Ratings are established by computer based on metrics for performance (which includes growth, stock performance, efficiency and valuation) and risk (volatility and solvency). Companies with poor cash flow or high debt levels tend to earn lower ratings in our model.