Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link
NEW YORK (
) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from buy to hold. Among the primary strengths of the company is its solid financial position based on a variety of debt and liquidity measures that we have evaluated. At the same time, however, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself, feeble growth in the company's earnings per share and deteriorating net income.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- DWSN's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.10 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 2.84, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- DWSN, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 8.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 11.0%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The share price of DAWSON GEOPHYSICAL CO has not done very well: it is down 10.10% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. Looking ahead, we do not see anything in this company's numbers that would change the one-year trend. It was down over the last twelve months; and it could be down again in the next twelve. Naturally, a bull or bear market could sway the movement of this stock.
- The gross profit margin for DAWSON GEOPHYSICAL CO is currently extremely low, coming in at 13.31%. It has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -4.24% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$21.71 million or 340.83% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
Dawson Geophysical Company provides onshore seismic data acquisition and processing services in the United States and Canada. Dawson Geophysical has a market cap of $231.5 million and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. Shares are down 15.1% year to date as of the close of trading on Monday.
You can view the full
or get investment ideas from our
Disclosure: TheStreet's editorial policy prohibits staff editors, reporters and analysts from holding positions in any individual stocks.