Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link
NEW YORK (
) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from buy to hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and reasonable valuation levels. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including unimpressive growth in net income and poor profit margins.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, CSPI's share price has jumped by 56.78%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- CSPI has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. To add to this, CSPI has a quick ratio of 2.01, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. In comparison to other companies in the IT Services industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, CSP INC has underperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has greatly exceeded that of the S&P 500.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the IT Services industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 161.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $0.77 million to -$0.48 million.
- The gross profit margin for CSP INC is rather low; currently it is at 20.84%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -2.51% is significantly below that of the industry average.
CSP Inc., together with its subsidiaries, engages in developing and marketing information technology (IT) integration solutions and high-performance cluster computer systems to industrial, commercial, and defense customers in the Americas, Europe, and Asia. CSP has a market cap of $24.6 million and is part of the technology sector and computer software & services industry. Shares are up 10.2% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday.
You can view the full
or get investment ideas from our
Disclosure: TheStreet's editorial policy prohibits staff editors, reporters and analysts from holding positions in any individual stocks.