Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a weak on high relative volume candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Crown Castle International as such a stock due to the following factors:
- CCI has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $264.5 million.
- CCI has traded 3.4 million shares today.
- CCI is trading at 32.92 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- CCI is trading at a new low 6.05% below yesterday's close.
'Weak on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as material stock news, analyst downgrades, insider selling, selling from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and traders are piling out of a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize (or avoid losses by trimming weak positions). In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in CCI with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for CCI NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on CCI:
Crown Castle International Corp., together with its subsidiaries, owns, operates, and leases shared wireless infrastructure in the United States and Australia. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 1.7%. CCI has a PE ratio of 223.0. Currently there are 8 analysts that rate Crown Castle International a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 3 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Crown Castle International has been 2.4 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Crown Castle International has a market cap of $27.5 billion and is part of the technology sector and telecommunications industry. The stock has a beta of 0.33 and a short float of 2% with 1.72 days to cover. Shares are up 13.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday.
rates Crown Castle International as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, good cash flow from operations and solid stock price performance. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 12.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 23.7%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $401.39 million or 46.81% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, CROWN CASTLE INTL CORP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -24.40%.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, regardless of the company's weak earnings results. Looking ahead, unless broad bear market conditions prevail, we still see more upside potential for this stock, despite the fact that it has already risen over the past year.
- CROWN CASTLE INTL CORP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern of earnings per share over the past two years. However, we anticipate this trend to reverse over the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CROWN CASTLE INTL CORP reported lower earnings of $0.28 versus $0.64 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.90 versus $0.28).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 35.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $52.36 million to $34.01 million.
- You can view the full Crown Castle International Ratings Report.