Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a strong and under the radar candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Covance as such a stock due to the following factors:
- CVD has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $84.9 million.
- CVD is making at least a new 3-day high.
- CVD has a PE ratio of 33.6.
- CVD is mentioned 0.77 times per day on StockTwits.
- CVD has not yet been mentioned on StockTwits today.
- CVD is currently in the upper 20% of its 1-year range.
- CVD is in the upper 35% of its 20-day range.
- CVD is in the upper 45% of its 5-day range.
- CVD is currently trading above yesterday's high.
'Strong and Under the Radar' stocks tend to be worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and price action. Market technicians refer to such stocks as being in an accumulation phase before a mark-up and peak. Traders and hedge funds have frequently found that these types of stocks continue to build a solid price base and then ultimately spike higher and peak when others 'discover' how good the stock is performing. By leveraging the social discovery aspect of StockTwits we are highlighting stocks that don't currently receive much attention from retail investors, but we suspect may soon garner more attention.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in CVD with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for CVD NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on CVD:
Covance Inc., a drug development services company, provides a range of early-stage and late-stage product development services to the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries worldwide. It operates in two segments, Early Development and Late-Stage Development. CVD has a PE ratio of 33.6. Currently there is 1 analyst that rates Covance a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 12 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Covance has been 1.0 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Covance has a market cap of $5.9 billion and is part of the health care sector and health services industry. The stock has a beta of 0.71 and a short float of 1.6% with 1.03 days to cover. Shares are up 0.7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.
rates Covance as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, growth in earnings per share, increase in net income, revenue growth and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Looking at where the stock is today compared to one year ago, we find that it is not only higher, but it has also clearly outperformed the rise in the S&P 500 over the same period. Although other factors naturally played a role, the company's strong earnings growth was key. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- COVANCE INC has improved earnings per share by 48.7% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, COVANCE INC increased its bottom line by earning $3.16 versus $1.67 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.80 versus $3.16).
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly outperformed against the S&P 500 and exceeded that of the Life Sciences Tools & Services industry average. The net income increased by 49.3% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $44.20 million to $66.00 million.
- CVD's revenue growth trails the industry average of 25.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 3.7%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- CVD's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.15 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. To add to this, CVD has a quick ratio of 2.38, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- You can view the full Covance Ratings Report.