NEW YORK (
) has been upgraded by TheStreet Ratings from sell to hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including feeble growth in the company's earnings per share, deteriorating net income and disappointing return on equity.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- CTO's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 1.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 7.1%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- CTO's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.13 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels.
- In its most recent trading session, CTO has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Management & Development industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 715.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $0.09 million to -$0.55 million.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Management & Development industry and the overall market, CONSOLIDATED TOMOKA LAND CO's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
Consolidated-Tomoka Land Co., through its subsidiaries, engages in real estate, income properties, and golf operations. Its real estate operations include land sales and development, agricultural operations, and leasing properties for oil and mineral exploration. Consolidated-Tomoka has a market cap of $170.2 million and is part of the
industry. Shares are up 13.8% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.
You can view the full
or get investment ideas from our
-- Written by a member of TheStreet RatingsStaff