Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a "storm the castle" (crossing above the 200-day simple moving average on higher than normal relative volume) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Concho Resources as such a stock due to the following factors:
- CXO has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $209.3 million.
- CXO has traded 902,653 shares today.
- CXO is trading at 4.43 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- CXO crossed above its 200-day simple moving average.
'Storm the Castle' stocks are worth watching because trading stocks that begin to experience a breakout can lead to potentially massive profits. Once psychological and technical resistance barriers like the 200-day moving average are breached on higher than normal relative volume, the stock is then free to find new buyers and momentum traders who can ultimately push the stock significantly higher. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize on. In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in CXO with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for CXO NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on CXO:
Concho Resources Inc., an independent oil and natural gas company, acquires, develops, and explores for oil and natural gas properties in the Unites States. The company's principal operating areas are located in the Permian Basin of southeast New Mexico and West Texas. CXO has a PE ratio of 25. Currently there are 16 analysts that rate Concho Resources a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 2 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Concho Resources has been 1.5 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Concho has a market cap of $12.3 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. The stock has a beta of 0.91 and a short float of 6% with 3.37 days to cover. Shares are up 7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.
rates Concho Resources as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself, unimpressive growth in net income and disappointing return on equity.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.56, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. Despite the fact that CXO's debt-to-equity ratio is low, the quick ratio, which is currently 0.51, displays a potential problem in covering short-term cash needs.
- The gross profit margin for CONCHO RESOURCES INC is rather high; currently it is at 69.64%. Despite the high profit margin, it has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 1.81% trails the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $126.25 million or 73.47% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. In comparison to the other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, CONCHO RESOURCES INC's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Concho Resources Ratings Report.