NEW YORK (
-- Chindex International
) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from buy to hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and solid stock price performance. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and poor profit margins.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. In comparison to the other companies in the Health Care Providers & Services industry and the overall market, CHINDEX INTL INC's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed against the S&P 500 and did not exceed that of the Health Care Providers & Services industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 55.3% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $3.90 million to $1.74 million.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, CHDX's share price has jumped by 45.07%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Setting our sights on the months ahead, however, we feel that the stock's sharp appreciation over the last year has driven it to a price level which is now relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. The implication is that its reduced upside potential is not good enough to warrant further investment at this time.
- CHDX's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.17 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 4.89, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- CHDX's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 6.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 7.6%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
Chindex International, Inc. engages in the provision of healthcare services; and sale of medical equipment, instrumentation, and products. The company operates in two segments, Healthcare Services and Medical Products. The company has a P/E ratio of 29.7, below the average wholesale industry P/E ratio of 31.9 and above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 16. Chindex International has a market cap of $257.6 million and is part of the
industry. Shares are up 1.9% year to date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.
You can view the full
or get investment ideas from our