Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link
NEW YORK (
) has been upgraded by TheStreet Ratings from sell to hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the growth in the company's net income has been quite unimpressive.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, JRJC's share price has jumped by 124.40%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- JRJC has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. To add to this, JRJC has a quick ratio of 2.45, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- CHINA FINANCE ONLINE CO -ADR has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has not demonstrated a clear trend in earnings over the past two years, making it difficult to accurately predict earnings for the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CHINA FINANCE ONLINE CO -ADR continued to lose money by earning -$0.54 versus -$0.89 in the prior year.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Internet Software & Services industry and the overall market, CHINA FINANCE ONLINE CO -ADR's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Internet Software & Services industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 75.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$2.58 million to -$4.54 million.
China Finance Online Co., Limited provides integrated financial information and services in the People's Republic of China. Its financial information and services include news, data, analytics, investment advisory, and brokerage-related services. China Finance Online has a market cap of $39.1 million and is part of the technology sector and internet industry. Shares are up 54.4% year to date as of the close of trading on Monday.
You can view the full
or get investment ideas from our
Disclosure: TheStreet's editorial policy prohibits staff editors, reporters and analysts from holding positions in any individual stocks.