Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a weak on high relative volume candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Carbo Ceramics as such a stock due to the following factors:
- CRR has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $36.4 million.
- CRR has traded 86,669 shares today.
- CRR is trading at 2.49 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- CRR is trading at a new low 5.02% below yesterday's close.
'Weak on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as material stock news, analyst downgrades, insider selling, selling from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and traders are piling out of a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize (or avoid losses by trimming weak positions). In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in CRR with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for CRR NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on CRR:
CARBO Ceramics Inc., an oilfield services technology company, manufactures and sells ceramic proppants, resin-coated ceramic, and resin-coated sand proppants for use in the hydraulic fracturing of natural gas and oil wells in the United States and internationally. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 4.1%. CRR has a PE ratio of 9.8. Currently there is 1 analyst that rates Carbo Ceramics a buy, 2 analysts rate it a sell, and 7 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Carbo Ceramics has been 1.0 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Carbo Ceramics has a market cap of $743.4 million and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. The stock has a beta of 1.35 and a short float of 39.2% with 6.73 days to cover. Shares are down 16.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday.
rates Carbo Ceramics as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, reasonable valuation levels and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including feeble growth in the company's earnings per share, disappointing return on equity and a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- CRR has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. To add to this, CRR has a quick ratio of 2.07, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- CRR, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 7.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 22.9%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- CARBO CERAMICS INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last two years. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CARBO CERAMICS INC reported lower earnings of $3.68 versus $4.59 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 10.9% in earnings ($3.28 versus $3.68).
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. In comparison to the other companies in the Energy Equipment & Services industry and the overall market, CARBO CERAMICS INC's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Carbo Ceramics Ratings Report.