NEW YORK (
) has been upgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, solid stock price performance and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth significantly trails the industry average of 46.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 9.5%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- BOLT has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 5.30, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Looking at where the stock is today compared to one year ago, we find that it is not only higher, but it has also clearly outperformed the rise in the S&P 500 over the same period, despite the company's weak earnings results. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- BOLT TECHNOLOGY CORP's earnings per share declined by 15.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, BOLT TECHNOLOGY CORP increased its bottom line by earning $0.65 versus $0.58 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.01 versus $0.65).
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Energy Equipment & Services industry and the overall market, BOLT TECHNOLOGY CORP's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
Bolt Technology Corporation engages in the manufacture and sale of marine seismic data acquisition equipment to the oil and gas industry worldwide. It operates in three segments: Seismic Energy Sources, Underwater Cables and Connectors, and Seismic Energy Source Controllers. The company has a P/E ratio of 16.7, equal to the average energy industry P/E ratio and below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Bolt Technology has a market cap of $97.9 million and is part of the
industry. Shares are down 18.7% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday.
You can view the full
or get investment ideas from our