Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link
NEW YORK (
-- Body Central
) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, poor profit margins and weak operating cash flow.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- BODY CENTRAL CORP has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last year. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, BODY CENTRAL CORP reported lower earnings of $0.73 versus $1.23 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 115.1% in earnings (-$0.11 versus $0.73).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Specialty Retail industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 470.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $3.45 million to -$12.77 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Specialty Retail industry and the overall market, BODY CENTRAL CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for BODY CENTRAL CORP is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 27.44%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -16.99% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$0.69 million or 141.01% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
Body Central Corp. operates as a specialty retailer of young women's apparel and accessories in the South, Mid-Atlantic, and Midwest regions of the United States. Body Central has a market cap of $125.9 million and is part of the services sector and retail industry. Shares are down 24.2% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.
You can view the full
or get investment ideas from our
Disclosure: TheStreet's editorial policy prohibits staff editors, reporters and analysts from holding positions in any individual stocks.