Biotech stocks went crazy Monday, with several promising biotech startups targeting cancer, depression and other maladies leading the way with double-digit gains.
Positive drug research test results announced by some firms also appeared to help send biotech share prices skyward, including firms with no connection to cancer research.
A number of other biotech cancer research firms also led the way up Monday. All have been mentioned as possible takeover targets in wake of the recent Elli Lilly and Bristol-Myers Squibb acquisitions.
- Clovis Oncology (CLVS) - Get Report rose 18.48%, to $21.73, following strong, fourth-quarter sales of its key drug Rubraca.
- Karyopharm Therapeutics Inc. (KPTI) - Get Report edged up 1.69% to $10.23.
- Exelixis Inc. (EXEL) - Get Report jumped 5.64% to $21.90.
- Seattle Genetics (SGEN) - Get Report rose 3.38% to $62.92.
- Epizyme (EPZM) - Get Report hit $8.40 after a 5.79% increase. The rise comes on the heels of the research firm's Jan. 4 announcement of accelerated approval by the FDA for an investigational drug for patients with a form of lymphoma.
- Puma Biotechnology (PBYI) - Get Report rose 10%, to $23.53. The firm last month released positive test results for its breast cancer treatment drug Nerlynx.