Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a pre-market leader candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Biogen Idec as such a stock due to the following factors:
- BIIB has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $307.0 million.
- BIIB traded 19,758 shares today in the pre-market hours as of 8:33 AM.
- BIIB is up 10.9% today from yesterday's close.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in BIIB with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for BIIB NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on BIIB:
Biogen Idec Inc. discovers, develops, manufactures, and markets therapies for the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, hemophilia, and autoimmune disorders in the United States and internationally. BIIB has a PE ratio of 34.5. Currently there are 12 analysts that rate Biogen Idec a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 6 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Biogen Idec has been 1.1 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Biogen Idec has a market cap of $58.0 billion and is part of the health care sector and drugs industry. The stock has a beta of 1.32 and a short float of 1.1% with 2.21 days to cover. Shares are up 67.7% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.
rates Biogen Idec as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth and compelling growth in net income. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 10.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 31.9%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- BIIB's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.09 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.20, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, including earnings growth. This has helped drive up the company's shares by a sharp 74.30% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, BIIB should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- BIOGEN IDEC INC has improved earnings per share by 22.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, BIOGEN IDEC INC increased its bottom line by earning $5.76 versus $5.03 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($8.84 versus $5.76).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Biotechnology industry average. The net income increased by 22.4% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $398.40 million to $487.62 million.
- You can view the full Biogen Idec Ratings Report.