Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as an unusual social activity candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Becton Dickinson as such a stock due to the following factors:
- BDX has 12x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 0.81 mentions/day.
- BDX has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $177.6 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in BDX with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for BDX NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on BDX:
Becton, Dickinson and Company develops, manufactures, and sells medical devices, instrument systems, and reagents worldwide. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 1.8%. BDX has a PE ratio of 44. Currently there are 9 analysts that rate Becton Dickinson a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 6 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Becton Dickinson has been 1.1 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Becton Dickinson has a market cap of $31.0 billion and is part of the health care sector and health services industry. The stock has a beta of 1.11 and a short float of 2.7% with 4.30 days to cover. Shares are down 7.7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday.
rates Becton Dickinson as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, good cash flow from operations, expanding profit margins, reasonable valuation levels and relatively strong performance when compared with the S&P 500 during the past year. We feel its strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- BDX's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 29.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 39.0%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $678.00 million or 25.78% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -16.95%.
- The gross profit margin for BECTON DICKINSON & CO is rather high; currently it is at 56.99%. Regardless of BDX's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 5.91% trails the industry average.
- BECTON DICKINSON & CO's earnings per share declined by 45.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern of earnings per share over the past year. However, we anticipate this trend reversing over the coming year. During the past fiscal year, BECTON DICKINSON & CO reported lower earnings of $3.41 versus $6.00 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($8.41 versus $3.41).
- You can view the full Becton Dickinson Ratings Report.