Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a "barbarian at the gate" (strong stocks crossing above resistance with today's range greater than 200%) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Eaton Vance as such a stock due to the following factors:
- EV has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $26.9 million.
- EV has traded 1.0 million shares today.
- EV traded in a range 243.2% of the normal price range with a price range of $1.66.
- EV traded above its daily resistance level (quality: 301 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 301 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Barbarian at the Gate' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying positive price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, 'resistance' while at the same time the range of the stock's movement in price is more than twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves higher.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in EV with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for EV NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on EV:
Eaton Vance Corp., through its subsidiaries, engages in the creation, marketing, and management of investment funds in the United States. It also provides investment management and counseling services to institutions and individuals. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 2.7%. EV has a PE ratio of 16.6. Currently there are 2 analysts that rate Eaton Vance a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 4 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Eaton Vance has been 753,600 shares per day over the past 30 days. Eaton Vance has a market cap of $4.4 billion and is part of the financial sector and financial services industry. The stock has a beta of 1.93 and a short float of 3.8% with 7.04 days to cover. Shares are down 12.3% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday.
rates Eaton Vance as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its compelling growth in net income, revenue growth, notable return on equity, expanding profit margins and good cash flow from operations. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry. The net income increased by 235.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $23.20 million to $77.94 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 5.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 4.9%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, EATON VANCE CORP's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- 36.97% is the gross profit margin for EATON VANCE CORP which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 21.20% trails the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 191.72% to $151.30 million when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow of 191.72%, EATON VANCE CORP is still growing at a significantly lower rate than the industry average of 247.72%.
- You can view the full Eaton Vance Ratings Report.