NEW YORK (
) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself.
- ACTIVE STOCK TRADERS: Check out TheStreet's special offer for Real Money, headlined by Jim Cramer, now!
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Computers & Peripherals industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 171.3% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$4.78 million to -$12.98 million.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Computers & Peripherals industry and the overall market, AVID TECHNOLOGY INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 61.34%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 161.53% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- The revenue fell significantly faster than the industry average of 59.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 8.2%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for AVID TECHNOLOGY INC is rather high; currently it is at 54.90%. Regardless of AVID's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, AVID's net profit margin of -8.50% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
Avid Technology, Inc. provides digital media content-creation products and solutions for audio, film, video, broadcast professionals, artists, and creative enthusiasts in the Americas, the Asia-Pacific, Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. Avid Technology has a market cap of $262.9 million and is part of the
industry. Shares are down 20.6% year to date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.
You can view the full
or get investment ideas from our
-- Written by a member of TheStreet Ratings Staff
TheStreet ratings do not represent the views of TheStreet's staff or its contributors. Ratings are established by computer based on metrics for performance (which includes growth, stock performance, efficiency and valuation) and risk (volatility and solvency). Companies with poor cash flow or high debt levels tend to earn lower ratings in our model.