Gold for February delivery was falling 1.3% to $1,180.50 an ounce on the COMEX on Monday afternoon.
The precious metal is trading below $1,200 an ounce after the gauge of 60-day historical volatility reached 18.1 on Dec. 16, its highest level since Jan. 10, according to Bloomberg.
Exclusive Report:Jim Cramer's Best Stocks for 2015
"The overall environment is very negative for gold," Phil Streible, a senior commodity broker at R.J. O'Brien & Associates told the publication, adding that the market will remain volatile in the next two weeks as trading will be "very thin."
TheStreet Ratings team rates AURICO GOLD INC as a Sell with a ratings score of D. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate AURICO GOLD INC (AUQ) a SELL. This is driven by several weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income, weak operating cash flow and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- AURICO GOLD INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, AURICO GOLD INC reported poor results of -$0.77 versus -$0.44 in the prior year.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 205.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $14.86 million to -$15.72 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $2.79 million or 88.54% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- The share price of AURICO GOLD INC has not done very well: it is down 5.39% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, AURICO GOLD INC underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: AUQ Ratings Report