Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a strong on high relative volume candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified ARIAD Pharmaceuticals as such a stock due to the following factors:
- ARIA has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $35.5 million.
- ARIA has traded 1.6 million shares today.
- ARIA is trading at 5.44 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- ARIA is trading at a new high 5.03% above yesterday's close.
'Strong on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as M&A events, material stock news, analyst upgrades, insider buying, buying from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and momentum traders are piling into a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize. In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in ARIA with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for ARIA NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on ARIA:
ARIAD Pharmaceuticals, Inc., an oncology company, is engaged in the discovery, development, and commercialization of medicines for cancer patients. Currently there are 5 analysts that rate ARIAD Pharmaceuticals a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 4 rate it a hold.
The average volume for ARIAD Pharmaceuticals has been 6.1 million shares per day over the past 30 days. ARIAD has a market cap of $1.2 billion and is part of the health care sector and drugs industry. The stock has a beta of 0.86 and a short float of 27.5% with 9.20 days to cover. Shares are down 6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.
rates ARIAD Pharmaceuticals as a
. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its disappointing return on equity, generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and generally high debt management risk.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Biotechnology industry and the overall market, ARIAD PHARMACEUTICALS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Currently the debt-to-equity ratio of 1.91 is quite high overall and when compared to the industry average, suggesting that the current management of debt levels should be re-evaluated. Despite the company's weak debt-to-equity ratio, the company has managed to keep a very strong quick ratio of 3.85, which shows the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- ARIA has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 7.61% from its price level of one year ago. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed compared to the Biotechnology industry average, but is greater than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 24.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from -$66.34 million to -$50.11 million.
- The revenue fell significantly faster than the industry average of 41.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 12.3%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full ARIAD Pharmaceuticals Ratings Report.