Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a new lifetime high candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified American Water Works as such a stock due to the following factors:
- AWK has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $31.8 million.
- AWK has traded 400 shares today.
- AWK is trading at a new lifetime high.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in AWK with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for AWK NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on AWK:
American Water Works Company, Inc., through its subsidiaries, provides water and wastewater services in the United States and Canada. The company's Regulated Businesses segment offers water and wastewater services to approximately 1,500 communities in 16 states. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 2.5%. AWK has a PE ratio of 22.8. Currently there are 13 analysts that rate American Water Works a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold.
The average volume for American Water Works has been 597,500 shares per day over the past 30 days. American Water Works has a market cap of $8.9 billion and is part of the utilities sector and utilities industry. The stock has a beta of 0.12 and a short float of 0.9% with 3.04 days to cover. Shares are up 19.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.
rates American Water Works as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, good cash flow from operations, expanding profit margins, solid stock price performance and growth in earnings per share. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally high debt management risk by most measures that we evaluated.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 7.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 4.8%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $205.74 million or 46.35% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of 18.86%.
- 48.03% is the gross profit margin for AMERICAN WATER WORKS CO INC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 14.39% trails the industry average.
- The stock has risen over the past year as investors have generally rewarded the company for its earnings growth and other positive factors like the ones we have cited in this report. Looking ahead, the stock's rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that the other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- AMERICAN WATER WORKS CO INC has improved earnings per share by 7.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, AMERICAN WATER WORKS CO INC reported lower earnings of $2.06 versus $2.11 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.42 versus $2.06).
- You can view the full American Water Works Ratings Report.