Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link
NEW YORK (
) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, poor profit margins, weak operating cash flow and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The share price of AMERESCO INC has not done very well: it is down 6.16% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. Looking ahead, we do not see anything in this company's numbers that would change the one-year trend. It was down over the last twelve months; and it could be down again in the next twelve. Naturally, a bull or bear market could sway the movement of this stock.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Construction & Engineering industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 69.1% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $5.09 million to $1.57 million.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. Compared to other companies in the Construction & Engineering industry and the overall market, AMERESCO INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for AMERESCO INC is rather low; currently it is at 18.04%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 0.89% trails that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$45.50 million or 201.16% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
Ameresco, Inc. provides energy efficiency solutions for facilities primarily in North America. The company operates through U.S. Regions, U.S. Federal, Canada, and Small-Scale Infrastructure segments. Ameresco Inc. Class A has a market cap of $187.4 million and is part of the services sector and diversified services industry. Shares are down 30.3% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday.
You can view the full
or get investment ideas from our
Disclosure: TheStreet's editorial policy prohibits staff editors, reporters and analysts from holding positions in any individual stocks.