NEW YORK (
) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from buy to hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and impressive record of earnings per share growth. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the stock has had a generally disappointing performance in the past year.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- AXU's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 5.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 1246.3%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- AXU has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 4.07, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- 49.20% is the gross profit margin for ALEXCO RESOURCE CORP which we consider to be strong. It has increased significantly from the same period last year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 13.80% trails the industry average.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. When compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market, ALEXCO RESOURCE CORP's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- AXU has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 7.38% from its price level of one year ago. Looking ahead, other than the push or pull of the broad market, we do not see anything in the company's numbers that may help reverse the decline experienced over the past 12 months. Despite the past decline, the stock is still selling for more than most others in its industry.
Alexco Resource Corp. engages in the exploration and development of mineral properties in Canada, primarily in Yukon Territory. The company has a P/E ratio of 64.5, below the average metals & mining industry P/E ratio of 216.6 and above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Alexco Resource has a market cap of $413.4 million and is part of the
industry. Shares are up 4.3% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday.
You can view the full
or get investment ideas from our
-- Written by a member of TheStreet Ratings Staff