Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a pre-market leader candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Alcoa as such a stock due to the following factors:
- AA has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $154.6 million.
- AA traded 62,890 shares today in the pre-market hours as of 7:41 AM.
- AA is up 2.4% today from yesterday's close.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in AA with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for AA NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on AA:
Alcoa Inc. produces and manages primary aluminum, fabricated aluminum, and alumina. The company operates in four segments: Alumina, Primary Metals, Global Rolled Products, and Engineered Products and Solutions. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 0.8%. Currently there are 6 analysts that rate Alcoa a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 8 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Alcoa has been 18.8 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Alcoa has a market cap of $17.1 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and metals & mining industry. The stock has a beta of 1.62 and a short float of 6.2% with 6.47 days to cover. Shares are up 36.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.
rates Alcoa as a
. Among the primary strengths of the company is its solid stock price performance. At the same time, however, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, AA's share price has jumped by 78.29%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Although AA had significant growth over the past year, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock at the current time.
- AA, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 4.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 6.5%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- ALCOA INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ALCOA INC swung to a loss, reporting -$2.15 versus $0.17 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.45 versus -$2.15).
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market, ALCOA INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 219.5% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $149.00 million to -$178.00 million.
- You can view the full Alcoa Ratings Report.