Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a "water-logged and getting wetter" (weak stocks crossing below support with today's range greater than 200%) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Agios Pharmaceuticals as such a stock due to the following factors:
- AGIO has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $135.0 million.
- AGIO has traded 1.1 million shares today.
- AGIO traded in a range 220% of the normal price range with a price range of $15.16.
- AGIO traded below its daily resistance level (quality: 18 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 18 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Water-Logged and Getting Wetter' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying negative price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, "support" while at the same time the range of the stock's movement in price is twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves lower.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in AGIO with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for AGIO NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on AGIO:
Agios Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a biopharmaceutical company, focuses on the development and commercialization of therapeutics in the field of cancer metabolism and inborn errors of metabolism (IEMs) in the United States. Currently there are 2 analysts that rate Agios Pharmaceuticals a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold.
The average volume for Agios Pharmaceuticals has been 941,300 shares per day over the past 30 days. Agios has a market cap of $4.2 billion and is part of the health care sector and drugs industry. Shares are up 399.5% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday.
rates Agios Pharmaceuticals as a
. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its weak operating cash flow and poor profit margins.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$23.47 million or 56.65% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- The gross profit margin for AGIOS PHARMACEUTICALS is currently extremely low, coming in at 10.48%. Despite the low profit margin, it has increased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, AGIO's net profit margin of 10.92% is significantly lower than the industry average.
- AGIOS PHARMACEUTICALS reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 37.7% in earnings (-$1.46 versus -$1.06).
- Compared to other companies in the Biotechnology industry and the overall market, AGIOS PHARMACEUTICALS's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Biotechnology industry. The net income increased by 133.1% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$11.18 million to $3.70 million.
- You can view the full Agios Pharmaceuticals Ratings Report.