Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link
NEW YORK (
) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from buy to hold. Among the primary strengths of the company is its revenue growth. At the same time, however, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself, feeble growth in the company's earnings per share and deteriorating net income.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 5.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 1.0%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 2.84 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. Even though the debt-to-equity ratio is weak, AEPI's quick ratio is somewhat strong at 1.09, demonstrating the ability to handle short-term liquidity needs.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. When compared to other companies in the Containers & Packaging industry and the overall market, AEP INDUSTRIES INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- AEP INDUSTRIES INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, AEP INDUSTRIES INC reported lower earnings of $1.91 versus $4.14 in the prior year.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Containers & Packaging industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 82.6% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $5.68 million to $0.99 million.
Processor Type: Film & Sheet Plastic Sales (2001): $417.2m Founded in: Area Code: one Materials Used: PE, PP, PVC Plant Locations: Griffin, GA; Wrightownship, PA; West Hill, Ontario; Matthews, NC; Gainesville, TX; Edmonton, Alberta; Chino, CA; Alsip, IL; Waxahachie, TX End Markets: AEP has a market cap of $239.7 million and is part of the consumer goods sector and consumer non-durables industry. Shares are down 19% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.
You can view the full
or get investment ideas from our
Disclosure: TheStreet's editorial policy prohibits staff editors, reporters and analysts from holding positions in any individual stocks.