Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as an unusual social activity candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified AbbVie as such a stock due to the following factors:
- ABBV has 10x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 34.90 mentions/day.
- ABBV has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $578.8 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in ABBV with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for ABBV NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on ABBV:
AbbVie Inc. discovers, develops, manufactures, and sells pharmaceutical products worldwide. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 2.9%. ABBV has a PE ratio of 29.5. Currently there are 7 analysts that rate AbbVie a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 3 rate it a hold.
The average volume for AbbVie has been 12.3 million shares per day over the past 30 days. AbbVie has a market cap of $108.2 billion and is part of the health care sector and drugs industry. Shares are up 28.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday.
rates AbbVie as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, solid stock price performance, expanding profit margins and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 8.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 7.8%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, ABBV's share price has jumped by 25.03%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, ABBV should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- The gross profit margin for ABBVIE INC is currently very high, coming in at 82.25%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 10.08% trails the industry average.
- ABBVIE INC's earnings per share declined by 48.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ABBVIE INC increased its bottom line by earning $2.56 versus $0.96 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.29 versus $2.56).
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Pharmaceuticals industry and the overall market, ABBVIE INC's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full AbbVie Ratings Report.