Chase was speaking at a broker meeting this afternoon and said that the Humira drug should experience greater strength outside the U.S. in the third quarter, Evercore ISI's Mark Schoenebaum told Barron's.
The drug's biosimilars won't reach the market until 2020, Chase added, but if they did hit the market earlier the company would lower SG&A spending for the drug. SG&A spending is now nearing $2.5 billion, according to Barron's.
AbbVie's recent stock slump is partly due to concerns about Humira's growth prospects, Schoenebaum told Barron's. He said the statements from the CFO were welcome to investors who were worried about sales numbers.
AbbVie, based in North Chicago, is a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company that develops and markets therapies that address a range of diseases.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates ABBVIE INC as a Buy with a ratings score of B+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate ABBVIE INC (ABBV) a BUY. This is driven by multiple strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, expanding profit margins, good cash flow from operations, increase in net income and growth in earnings per share. We feel its strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally high debt management risk by most measures that we evaluated."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 6.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 11.1%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Pharmaceuticals industry. The net income increased by 24.4% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $1,098.00 million to $1,366.00 million.
- The gross profit margin for ABBVIE INC is currently very high, coming in at 87.18%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 24.94% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has slightly increased to $1,832.00 million or 6.69% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -10.24%.
- ABBVIE INC has improved earnings per share by 22.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ABBVIE INC reported lower earnings of $1.09 versus $2.56 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($4.26 versus $1.09).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: ABBV