Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
The Utilities sector as a whole closed the day down 0.7% versus the S&P 500, which was up 0.2%. Laggards within the Utilities sector included
), down 4.3%,
), down 3.3%,
), down 3.5%,
), down 3.7% and
), down 3.5%.
TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks that pushed the sector lower today:
) is one of the companies that pushed the Utilities sector lower today. Centrais Eletricas Brasileiras was down $0.11 (3.5%) to $3.07 on average volume. Throughout the day, 153,779 shares of Centrais Eletricas Brasileiras exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 199,400 shares. The stock ranged in price between $3.02-$3.12 after having opened the day at $3.12 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $3.18.
Centrais Eletricas Brasileiras S.A. - Eletrobras, together with its subsidiaries, generates, transmits, and distributes electricity in Brazil. It projects, builds, and operates generating power plants, and electric power transmission and distribution lines. Centrais Eletricas Brasileiras has a market cap of $3.9 billion and is part of the utilities industry. Shares are down 27.7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday.
TheStreet Ratings rates
Centrais Eletricas Brasileiras
. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its unimpressive growth in net income, poor profit margins, weak operating cash flow and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself.
Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on EBR.B go as follows:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Electric Utilities industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 149.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $75.75 million to -$37.13 million.
- The gross profit margin for ELETROBRAS-CENTR ELETR BRAS is currently extremely low, coming in at 7.44%. It has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -1.16% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $146.37 million or 80.21% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 37.61%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 133.33% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. Compared to other companies in the Electric Utilities industry and the overall market, ELETROBRAS-CENTR ELETR BRAS's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
You can view the full analysis from the report here:
At the close,
) was down $0.58 (3.7%) to $15.20 on average volume. Throughout the day, 32,216 shares of Spark Energy exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 34,600 shares. The stock ranged in price between $15.02-$16.10 after having opened the day at $15.87 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $15.78.
Spark Energy has a market cap of $48.3 million and is part of the utilities industry. Shares are unchanged year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. Currently there are 4 analysts who rate Spark Energy a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold.
) was another company that pushed the Utilities sector lower today. U S Geothermal was down $0.02 (3.5%) to $0.50 on average volume. Throughout the day, 463,840 shares of U S Geothermal exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 317,400 shares. The stock ranged in price between $0.49-$0.52 after having opened the day at $0.51 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $0.52.
U S Geothermal has a market cap of $56.4 million and is part of the utilities industry. Shares are up 39.8% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. Currently there are no analysts who rate U S Geothermal a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold.