Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
The Transportation industry as a whole closed the day down 1.4% versus the S&P 500, which was down 0.8%. Laggards within the Transportation industry included
), down 3.2%,
), down 5.4%,
), down 2.6%,
), down 4.9% and
), down 1.9%.
TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks that pushed the industry lower today:
) is one of the companies that pushed the Transportation industry lower today. Sino-Global Shipping America was down $0.03 (1.9%) to $1.59 on light volume. Throughout the day, 2,984 shares of Sino-Global Shipping America exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 133,100 shares. The stock ranged in price between $1.59-$1.65 after having opened the day at $1.65 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $1.62.
Sino-Global Shipping America, Ltd. provides customized shipping agency services primarily in the People's Republic of China. The company also offers shipping and chartering services, and inland transportation management services, as well as ship and crew management services for dry bulk ships. Sino-Global Shipping America has a market cap of $9.6 million and is part of the industrial goods sector. Shares are up 2.5% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. Currently there is 1 analyst who rates Sino-Global Shipping America a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and none rate it a hold.
TheStreet Ratings rates
Sino-Global Shipping America
. Among the areas we feel are negative, one of the most important has been a generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself.
Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on SINO go as follows:
- SINO's stock share price has done very poorly compared to where it was a year ago: Despite any rallies, the net result is that it is down by 37.20%, which is also worse than the performance of the S&P 500 Index. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed compared to the Transportation Infrastructure industry average, but is greater than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 20.7% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $0.28 million to $0.33 million.
- The revenue fell significantly faster than the industry average of 28.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 21.4%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to not be hurting the bottom line, shown by stable earnings per share.
- SINO-GLOBAL SHIPPING AMERICA reported flat earnings per share in the most recent quarter. This company has not demonstrated a clear trend in earnings over the past 2 years, making it difficult to accurately predict earnings for the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SINO-GLOBAL SHIPPING AMERICA turned its bottom line around by earning $0.35 versus -$0.39 in the prior year.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Transportation Infrastructure industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, SINO-GLOBAL SHIPPING AMERICA has underperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has exceeded that of the S&P 500.
You can view the full analysis from the report here:
At the close,
) was down $0.24 (5.4%) to $4.21 on light volume. Throughout the day, 3,076 shares of Pangaea Logistics Solutions exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 15,500 shares. The stock ranged in price between $4.20-$4.60 after having opened the day at $4.44 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $4.45.
Pangaea Logistics Solutions has a market cap of $57.8 million and is part of the industrial goods sector. Shares are down 6.3% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. Currently there are 7 analysts who rate Pangaea Logistics Solutions a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 4 rate it a hold.
) was another company that pushed the Transportation industry lower today. Globus Maritime was down $0.08 (3.2%) to $2.40 on light volume. Throughout the day, 1,900 shares of Globus Maritime exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 9,600 shares. The stock ranged in price between $2.40-$2.48 after having opened the day at $2.48 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $2.48.
Globus Maritime has a market cap of $25.5 million and is part of the industrial goods sector. Shares are up 3.3% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. Currently there is 1 analyst who rates Globus Maritime a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold.