Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
The Technology sector as a whole was unchanged today versus the S&P 500, which was up 0.5%. Laggards within the Technology sector included
), down 1.6%,
), down 2.1%,
), down 2.5%,
), down 1.5% and
), down 1.8%.
TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks that pushed the sector lower today:
) is one of the companies that pushed the Technology sector lower today. ARI Network Services was down $0.06 (1.8%) to $3.22 on light volume. Throughout the day, 353 shares of ARI Network Services exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 11,200 shares. The stock ranged in price between $3.07-$3.22 after having opened the day at $3.07 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $3.28.
ARI Network Services has a market cap of $47.3 million and is part of the telecommunications industry. Shares are up 2.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. Currently there are no analysts who rate ARI Network Services a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold.
At the close,
) was down $0.10 (1.5%) to $6.40 on light volume. Throughout the day, 900 shares of Sajan exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 3,400 shares. The stock ranged in price between $6.01-$6.50 after having opened the day at $6.50 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $6.50.
Sajan has a market cap of $26.4 million and is part of the telecommunications industry. Shares are up 12.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. Currently there is 1 analyst who rates Sajan a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold.
) was another company that pushed the Technology sector lower today. CollabRx was down $0.01 (1.6%) to $0.60 on light volume. Throughout the day, 2,466 shares of CollabRx exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 15,000 shares. The stock ranged in price between $0.60-$0.65 after having opened the day at $0.62 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $0.61.
CollabRx, Inc. provides cloud-based expert systems to inform healthcare decision-making. The company's cloud-based expert systems provide clinical knowledge to institutions, physicians, researchers, and patients for genomics-based medicine in cancer. CollabRx has a market cap of $2.1 million and is part of the telecommunications industry. Shares are down 81.5% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. Currently there is 1 analyst who rates CollabRx a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold.
TheStreet Ratings rates
. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its unimpressive growth in net income, disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow, generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and feeble growth in its earnings per share.
Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on CLRX go as follows:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Health Care Technology industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 56.6% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$0.80 million to -$1.25 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Health Care Technology industry and the overall market, COLLABRX INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to -$0.73 million or 19.96% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 82.92%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 74.28% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- COLLABRX INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, COLLABRX INC continued to lose money by earning -$1.78 versus -$2.15 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 3.9% in earnings (-$1.85 versus -$1.78).
You can view the full analysis from the report here: