Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
The Materials & Construction industry as a whole closed the day down 0.6% versus the S&P 500, which was unchanged. Laggards within the Materials & Construction industry included
), down 3.6%,
), down 3.9%,
), down 3.0%,
), down 4.8% and
), down 2.2%.
TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks that pushed the industry lower today:
) is one of the companies that pushed the Materials & Construction industry lower today. Comstock was down $0.03 (3.0%) to $0.97 on light volume. Throughout the day, 6,375 shares of Comstock exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 36,900 shares. The stock ranged in price between $0.97-$1.00 after having opened the day at $0.97 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $1.00.
Comstock Holding Companies, Inc. operates as a real estate development and construction services company in the United States. The company operates through three segments: Homebuilding, Multi-family, and Real Estate Services. Comstock has a market cap of $19.2 million and is part of the utilities sector. Shares are down 1.0% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.
TheStreet Ratings rates
. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its generally high debt management risk, disappointing return on equity, poor profit margins and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself.
Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on CHCI go as follows:
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 28.20 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Household Durables industry and the overall market, COMSTOCK HOLDING COS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for COMSTOCK HOLDING COS INC is rather low; currently it is at 17.78%. It has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -0.86% trails that of the industry average.
- CHCI's stock share price has done very poorly compared to where it was a year ago: Despite any rallies, the net result is that it is down by 45.77%, which is also worse that the performance of the S&P 500 Index. Investors have so far failed to pay much attention to the earnings improvements the company has managed to achieve over the last quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- COMSTOCK HOLDING COS INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. During the past fiscal year, COMSTOCK HOLDING COS INC continued to lose money by earning -$0.10 versus -$0.47 in the prior year.
You can view the full analysis from the report here:
At the close,
) was down $0.03 (3.9%) to $0.85 on light volume. Throughout the day, 12,963 shares of China Ceramics exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 29,500 shares. The stock ranged in price between $0.85-$0.88 after having opened the day at $0.86 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $0.88.
China Ceramics has a market cap of $17.6 million and is part of the utilities sector. Shares are up 6.3% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.
) was another company that pushed the Materials & Construction industry lower today. India Globalization Capital was down $0.02 (3.6%) to $0.54 on average volume. Throughout the day, 33,020 shares of India Globalization Capital exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 37,500 shares. The stock ranged in price between $0.54-$0.56 after having opened the day at $0.56 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $0.56.
India Globalization Capital has a market cap of $7.8 million and is part of the utilities sector. Shares are down 15.8% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. Currently there are no analysts who rate India Globalization Capital a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold.