Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
The Materials & Construction industry as a whole closed the day down 1.7% versus the S&P 500, which was down 1.3%. Laggards within the Materials & Construction industry included
), down 6.3%,
), down 5.6%,
), down 2.1%,
), down 1.9% and
), down 3.2%.
TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks that pushed the industry lower today:
) is one of the companies that pushed the Materials & Construction industry lower today. Ecology and Environment was down $0.20 (1.9%) to $10.46 on heavy volume. Throughout the day, 60,947 shares of Ecology and Environment exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 9,500 shares. The stock ranged in price between $10.00-$10.96 after having opened the day at $10.48 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $10.66.
Ecology and Environment, Inc., an environmental consulting firm, provides professional services to the government and private sectors worldwide. Ecology and Environment has a market cap of $29.5 million and is part of the industrial goods sector. Shares are up 21.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday.
TheStreet Ratings rates
Ecology and Environment
. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its weak operating cash flow and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself.
Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on EEI go as follows:
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$0.55 million or 136.69% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- EEI has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 19.46% from its price level of one year ago. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Commercial Services & Supplies industry and the overall market, ECOLOGY AND ENVIRONMENT INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- EEI, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 8.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 4.5%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- 44.89% is the gross profit margin for ECOLOGY AND ENVIRONMENT INC which we consider to be strong. Regardless of EEI's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 2.55% trails the industry average.
You can view the full analysis from the report here:
At the close,
) was down $0.05 (5.6%) to $0.85 on average volume. Throughout the day, 33,548 shares of China Ceramics exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 36,800 shares. The stock ranged in price between $0.85-$0.89 after having opened the day at $0.85 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $0.90.
China Ceramics has a market cap of $18.1 million and is part of the industrial goods sector. Shares are up 9.3% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday.
) was another company that pushed the Materials & Construction industry lower today. India Globalization Capital was down $0.04 (6.3%) to $0.56 on average volume. Throughout the day, 63,574 shares of India Globalization Capital exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 45,100 shares. The stock ranged in price between $0.00-$0.61 after having opened the day at $0.59 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $0.60.
India Globalization Capital has a market cap of $8.3 million and is part of the industrial goods sector. Shares are down 10.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. Currently there are no analysts who rate India Globalization Capital a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold.