Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
The Energy industry as a whole closed the day up 0.3% versus the S&P 500, which was unchanged. Laggards within the Energy industry included
), down 4.5%,
), down 1.6%,
), down 3.6%,
), down 3.1% and
), down 1.7%.
TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks that pushed the industry lower today:
) is one of the companies that pushed the Energy industry lower today. ZaZa Energy was down $0.22 (3.6%) to $5.89 on average volume. Throughout the day, 51,243 shares of ZaZa Energy exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 45,000 shares. The stock ranged in price between $5.78-$6.22 after having opened the day at $6.15 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $6.11.
ZaZa Energy has a market cap of $73.4 million and is part of the basic materials sector. Shares are down 36.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.
At the close,
) was down $0.02 (1.6%) to $1.19 on light volume. Throughout the day, 18,368 shares of PostRock Energy exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 31,600 shares. The stock ranged in price between $1.18-$1.21 after having opened the day at $1.18 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $1.21.
PostRock Energy Corporation, an independent oil and gas company, is engaged in the acquisition, exploration, development, production, and gathering of crude oil and natural gas. PostRock Energy has a market cap of $37.3 million and is part of the basic materials sector. Shares are up 4.3% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.
TheStreet Ratings rates
. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its unimpressive growth in net income, generally high debt management risk and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself.
Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on PSTR go as follows:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 187.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $6.88 million to -$5.99 million.
- Currently the debt-to-equity ratio of 1.62 is quite high overall and when compared to the industry average, suggesting that the current management of debt levels should be re-evaluated. Along with this, the company manages to maintain a quick ratio of 0.43, which clearly demonstrates the inability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The share price of POSTROCK ENERGY CORP has not done very well: it is down 20.45% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, POSTROCK ENERGY CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- POSTROCK ENERGY CORP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, POSTROCK ENERGY CORP continued to lose money by earning -$0.93 versus -$3.99 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.73 versus -$0.93).
You can view the full analysis from the report here:
) was another company that pushed the Energy industry lower today. Sonde Resources was down $0.01 (4.5%) to $0.19 on light volume. Throughout the day, 3,461 shares of Sonde Resources exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 39,300 shares. The stock ranged in price between $0.19-$0.20 after having opened the day at $0.20 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $0.20.
Sonde Resources has a market cap of $11.2 million and is part of the basic materials sector. Shares are down 71.0% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.