Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
The Drugs industry as a whole closed the day down 1.2% versus the S&P 500, which was unchanged. Laggards within the Drugs industry included
), down 6.7%,
), down 12.0%,
), down 1.7%,
), down 3.8% and
), down 2.0%.
TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks that pushed the industry lower today:
) is one of the companies that pushed the Drugs industry lower today. Can Fite Biofarma was down $0.05 (2.0%) to $2.46 on light volume. Throughout the day, 2,149 shares of Can Fite Biofarma exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 13,400 shares. The stock ranged in price between $2.46-$2.53 after having opened the day at $2.52 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $2.51.
Can Fite Biofarma has a market cap of $23.0 million and is part of the health care sector. Shares are down 57.7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. Currently there is 1 analyst who rates Can Fite Biofarma a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold.
At the close,
) was down $0.06 (3.8%) to $1.51 on light volume. Throughout the day, 6,838 shares of EntreMed exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 20,800 shares. The stock ranged in price between $1.50-$1.58 after having opened the day at $1.58 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $1.57.
EntreMed has a market cap of $47.1 million and is part of the health care sector. Shares are down 9.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday.
) was another company that pushed the Drugs industry lower today. Aoxing Pharmaceutical was down $0.02 (6.7%) to $0.23 on light volume. Throughout the day, 42,274 shares of Aoxing Pharmaceutical exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 66,800 shares. The stock ranged in price between $0.23-$0.24 after having opened the day at $0.24 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $0.25.
Aoxing Pharmaceutical Company, Inc., a specialty pharmaceutical company, researches, develops, manufactures, and distributes various narcotic, pain-management, and addiction treatment pharmaceutical products primarily in the People's Republic of China. Aoxing Pharmaceutical has a market cap of $15.4 million and is part of the health care sector. Shares are up 0.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday.
TheStreet Ratings rates
. The area that we feel has been the company's primary weakness has been its poor profit margins.
Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on AXN go as follows:
- The gross profit margin for AOXING PHARMACEUTICAL CO INC is rather high; currently it is at 58.33%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -71.80% is in-line with the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 68.38% to -$0.56 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, AOXING PHARMACEUTICAL CO INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -35.65%.
- This stock has increased by 26.08% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the future course of this stock, we feel that the risks involved in investing in AXN do not compensate for any future upside potential, despite the fact that it has seen nice gains over the past 12 months.
- AOXING PHARMACEUTICAL CO INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, AOXING PHARMACEUTICAL CO INC continued to lose money by earning -$0.16 versus -$0.34 in the prior year.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Pharmaceuticals industry. The net income increased by 78.4% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$10.78 million to -$2.33 million.
You can view the full analysis from the report here: