Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
The Diversified Services industry as a whole closed the day up 0.1% versus the S&P 500, which was up 1.1%. Laggards within the Diversified Services industry included
), down 1.8%,
), down 4.5%,
), down 4.0%,
), down 17.6% and
), down 14.4%.
TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks that pushed the industry lower today:
) is one of the companies that pushed the Diversified Services industry lower today. Corporate Resource Services was down $0.05 (17.6%) to $0.23 on heavy volume. Throughout the day, 584,996 shares of Corporate Resource Services exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 76,900 shares. The stock ranged in price between $0.20-$0.24 after having opened the day at $0.20 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $0.27.
Corporate Resource Services has a market cap of $52.2 million and is part of the services sector. Shares are down 77.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. Currently there are no analysts who rate Corporate Resource Services a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold.
At the close,
) was down $0.10 (4.5%) to $2.10 on heavy volume. Throughout the day, 9,368 shares of Bioanalytical Systems exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 4,900 shares. The stock ranged in price between $2.05-$2.14 after having opened the day at $2.12 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $2.20.
Bioanalytical Systems, Inc. provides drug discovery and development services, and analytical instruments for pharmaceutical, biotechnology, academic, and government organizations in North America, the Pacific Rim, Europe, and internationally. Bioanalytical Systems has a market cap of $18.2 million and is part of the services sector. Shares are up 3.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday.
TheStreet Ratings rates
. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, poor profit margins and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself.
Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on BASI go as follows:
- BIOANALYTICAL SYSTEMS INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, BIOANALYTICAL SYSTEMS INC swung to a loss, reporting -$0.15 versus $0.09 in the prior year.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Life Sciences Tools & Services industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 260.3% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $0.25 million to -$0.40 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Life Sciences Tools & Services industry and the overall market, BIOANALYTICAL SYSTEMS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for BIOANALYTICAL SYSTEMS INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 34.63%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -6.29% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 36.07%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 266.66% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
You can view the full analysis from the report here:
) was another company that pushed the Diversified Services industry lower today. Wilhelmina International was down $0.10 (1.8%) to $5.57 on heavy volume. Throughout the day, 5,194 shares of Wilhelmina International exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 1,700 shares. The stock ranged in price between $5.57-$5.70 after having opened the day at $5.70 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $5.68.
Wilhelmina International has a market cap of $33.0 million and is part of the services sector. Shares are down 5.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday.