Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
The Consumer Non-Durables industry as a whole closed the day down 1.6% versus the S&P 500, which was down 0.9%. Laggards within the Consumer Non-Durables industry included
), down 3.1%,
), down 8.9%,
), down 1.8%,
), down 4.2% and
), down 4.5%.
TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks that pushed the industry lower today:
) is one of the companies that pushed the Consumer Non-Durables industry lower today. Delta Apparel was down $0.18 (1.8%) to $9.64 on light volume. Throughout the day, 4,865 shares of Delta Apparel exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 14,500 shares. The stock ranged in price between $9.63-$9.87 after having opened the day at $9.85 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $9.82.
Delta Apparel has a market cap of $78.3 million and is part of the consumer goods sector. Shares are down 2.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday.
At the close,
) was down $0.07 (8.9%) to $0.68 on light volume. Throughout the day, 39,353 shares of EveryWare Global exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 92,000 shares. The stock ranged in price between $0.68-$0.78 after having opened the day at $0.78 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $0.75.
EveryWare Global has a market cap of $16.6 million and is part of the consumer goods sector. Shares are up 2.5% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday.
) was another company that pushed the Consumer Non-Durables industry lower today. Fuwei Films (Holdings was down $0.02 (3.1%) to $0.63 on light volume. Throughout the day, 450 shares of Fuwei Films (Holdings exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 11,400 shares. The stock ranged in price between $0.63-$0.63 after having opened the day at $0.63 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $0.65.
Fuwei Films (Holdings) Co., Ltd., through its subsidiary, Fuwei Films (Shandong) Co., Ltd., develops, manufactures, and distributes plastic films using the biaxially- oriented stretch technique in the People's Republic of China. Fuwei Films (Holdings has a market cap of $8.6 million and is part of the consumer goods sector. Shares are down 2.3% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday.
TheStreet Ratings rates
Fuwei Films (Holdings
. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its weak operating cash flow, poor profit margins and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself.
Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on FFHL go as follows:
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$1.87 million or 247.32% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- The gross profit margin for FUWEI FILMS HOLDINGS CO is currently extremely low, coming in at 12.97%. Despite the low profit margin, it has increased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, FFHL's net profit margin of -25.64% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- FFHL's stock share price has done very poorly compared to where it was a year ago: Despite any rallies, the net result is that it is down by 36.29%, which is also worse that the performance of the S&P 500 Index. Investors have so far failed to pay much attention to the earnings improvements the company has managed to achieve over the last quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Chemicals industry and the overall market, FUWEI FILMS HOLDINGS CO's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- FUWEI FILMS HOLDINGS CO has improved earnings per share by 24.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has not demonstrated a clear trend in earnings over the past 2 years, making it difficult to accurately predict earnings for the coming year. During the past fiscal year, FUWEI FILMS HOLDINGS CO reported poor results of -$0.74 versus -$0.66 in the prior year.
You can view the full analysis from the report here: