Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
The Basic Materials sector as a whole closed the day down 1.2% versus the S&P 500, which was down 0.9%. Laggards within the Basic Materials sector included
), down 8.1%,
), down 12.8%,
), down 5.0%,
), down 1.5% and
), down 8.8%.
TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks that pushed the sector lower today:
) is one of the companies that pushed the Basic Materials sector lower today. United States Antimony was down $0.07 (8.8%) to $0.70 on light volume. Throughout the day, 15,553 shares of United States Antimony exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 36,100 shares. The stock ranged in price between $0.62-$0.78 after having opened the day at $0.78 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $0.77.
United States Antimony Corporation produces and sells antimony, silver, gold, and zeolite products in the United States. United States Antimony has a market cap of $50.2 million and is part of the energy industry. Shares are up 8.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday.
TheStreet Ratings rates
United States Antimony
. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow and feeble growth in its earnings per share.
Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on UAMY go as follows:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 252.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$0.16 million to -$0.56 million.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, U S ANTIMONY CORP underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$1.29 million or 1648.64% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- U S ANTIMONY CORP has shown no change in earnings for its most recently reported quarter when compared with the same quarter a year earlier. The company has suffered a declining pattern earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, U S ANTIMONY CORP reported poor results of -$0.03 versus -$0.01 in the prior year.
- This stock's share value has moved by only 61.03% over the past year. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
You can view the full analysis from the report here:
At the close,
) was down $0.02 (5.0%) to $0.33 on light volume. Throughout the day, 3,621 shares of Alderon Iron Ore exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 53,500 shares. The stock ranged in price between $0.32-$0.34 after having opened the day at $0.34 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $0.35.
Alderon Iron Ore has a market cap of $46.9 million and is part of the energy industry. Shares are up 6.5% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. Currently there is 1 analyst who rates Alderon Iron Ore a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold.
) was another company that pushed the Basic Materials sector lower today. Enerjex Resources was down $0.24 (12.8%) to $1.64 on average volume. Throughout the day, 6,324 shares of Enerjex Resources exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 8,400 shares. The stock ranged in price between $1.58-$1.95 after having opened the day at $1.94 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $1.88.
Enerjex Resources has a market cap of $15.8 million and is part of the energy industry. Shares are up 3.5% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday.