Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
TheStreet Ratings' stock model projects a stock's total return potential over a 12-month period including both price appreciation and dividends. Our Buy, Hold or Sell ratings designate how we expect these stocks to perform against a general benchmark of the equities market and interest rates.
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Sell."
Dividend Yield: 8.50%
) shares currently have a dividend yield of 8.50%.
Zais Financial Corp. invests in, finances, and manages performing and re-performing residential mortgage loans. The company also invests in, finances, and manages residential mortgage-backed securities (RMBS) that are not issued or guaranteed by a federally chartered corporation. The company has a P/E ratio of 4.20.
The average volume for ZAIS Financial has been 66,900 shares per day over the past 30 days. ZAIS Financial has a market cap of $150.5 million and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are up 19% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.
Dividend Yield: 10.00%
) shares currently have a dividend yield of 10.00%.
Life Partners Holdings, Inc., through its subsidiary, Life Partners, Inc., operates in the secondary market for life insurance worldwide. It facilitates the sale of life settlements between sellers and purchasers, but does not take possession or control of the policies.
The average volume for Life Partners Holdings has been 19,800 shares per day over the past 30 days. Life Partners Holdings has a market cap of $37.3 million and is part of the insurance industry. Shares are up 12.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday.
TheStreet Ratings rates
Life Partners Holdings
. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Diversified Financial Services industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 203.4% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $1.68 million to -$1.74 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Diversified Financial Services industry and the overall market, LIFE PARTNERS HOLDINGS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The share price of LIFE PARTNERS HOLDINGS INC has not done very well: it is down 9.51% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- LIFE PARTNERS HOLDINGS INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has not demonstrated a clear trend in earnings over the past 2 years, making it difficult to accurately predict earnings for the coming year. During the past fiscal year, LIFE PARTNERS HOLDINGS INC continued to lose money by earning -$0.13 versus -$0.16 in the prior year.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 61.65% to -$1.10 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, LIFE PARTNERS HOLDINGS INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 0.71%.
- You can view the full Life Partners Holdings Ratings Report.
Dividend Yield: 7.10%
) shares currently have a dividend yield of 7.10%.
Southcross Energy Partners, L.P., together with its subsidiaries, provides natural gas gathering, processing, treating, compression, and transportation services in the United States. It also offers natural gas liquid (NGL) fractionation and transportation services.
The average volume for Southcross Energy Partners has been 58,700 shares per day over the past 30 days. Southcross Energy Partners has a market cap of $528.7 million and is part of the utilities industry. Shares are up 24.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday.
TheStreet Ratings rates
Southcross Energy Partners
. Among the areas we feel are negative, one of the most important has been poor profit margins.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The gross profit margin for SOUTHCROSS ENERGY PRTNRS LP is currently extremely low, coming in at 4.00%. Regardless of SXE's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -1.51% trails the industry average.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, SOUTHCROSS ENERGY PRTNRS LP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.52, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. Although the company had a strong debt-to-equity ratio, its quick ratio of 0.83 is somewhat weak and could be cause for future problems.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 592.72% to $9.53 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, SOUTHCROSS ENERGY PRTNRS LP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -5.24%.
- Looking at where the stock is today compared to one year ago, we find that it is higher, and it has outperformed the rise in the S&P 500 over the same period. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, we do not believe this stock offers ample reward opportunity to compensate for the risks, despite the fact that it rose over the past year.
- You can view the full Southcross Energy Partners Ratings Report.
Other helpful dividend tools from TheStreet:
- Our dividend calendar.