Editor's Note: TheStreet ratings do not represent the views of TheStreet's staff or its contributors. Ratings are established by computer based on metrics for performance (which includes growth, stock performance, efficiency and valuation) and risk (volatility and solvency). Companies with poor cash flow or high debt levels tend to earn lower ratings in our model
NEW YORK (
) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its unimpressive growth in net income and relatively poor performance when compared with the S&P 500 during the past year.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Internet Software & Services industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 85.1% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $12.65 million to $1.89 million.
- In its most recent trading session, VNET has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Looking ahead, the stock's rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry, implying reduced upside potential.
- 21VIANET GROUP INC has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.50 versus $0.06).
- 36.20% is the gross profit margin for 21VIANET GROUP INC which we consider to be strong. Regardless of VNET's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, VNET's net profit margin of 2.90% is significantly lower than the same period one year prior.
- Compared to other companies in the Internet Software & Services industry and the overall market, 21VIANET GROUP INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
21Vianet Group, Inc. provides carrier-neutral Internet data center services in the People's Republic of China. The company has a P/E ratio of 163.5, above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. 21Vianet Group has a market cap of $566.4 million and is part of the technology sector and computer software & services industry. Shares are up 7.2% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.
You can view the full
or get investment ideas from our
-- Written by a member of TheStreet Ratings Staff
FREE for a limited time only: Get TheStreet Ratings #1 Stock Report NOW!