If you've somehow managed to avoid hearing the news, this year Amazon Prime Day runs from July 15-16, the first time the online retail holiday has lasted 48 full hours.
Prime Day has existed since 2015, and in the years since it has continued to grow, and other retailers have learned that they need to compete. Maybe you've heard that Amazon's website tends to go through technical difficulties during Prime Day, or that some Amazon warehouse workers plan on striking during Prime Day for better working conditions, and are wondering if there are some other deals that might better suit your needs.
Target (TGT) - Get Report recently announced its "Deal Days" event - which just happens to take place over the same two days that Prime Day does. Unlike Prime Day, which requires an Amazon Prime account to participate in, shoppers are not required to sign up for a Target membership to get in on these deals.
Target has dropped a little more information on what some of the actual deals will be. Day one, July 15, 2019, will have deals that include:
- 40% off select furniture, as well as indoor rugs
- Discounted prices on top kitchenware brands, including KitchenAid and Instant Pot
- Discounted prices on items from top floorcare brands, including Shark, Hoover and Dyson
- Buy two, get one free deal on books
Deals on day two, July 16, include:
- 5% off Target eGiftCards (only for email and mobile delivery)
- 30% off exclusive home brands on items including bedding, bath, furniture and rugs
- Up to 30% off for some floorcare, cookware and small appliances
- 30% off swimwear and select sandals
- Up to 30% off for some toy brands and sporting goods
- Up to 30% off for Evenflo car seats and strollers
Target is also offering discounts on certain apparel and home items leading up to and expiring at the start of the Deals Days event.
Walmart (WMT) - Get Report will be doing its own set of deals both before and during Prime Day - or, in the case of Walmart's "Google Week," both. Google Week lasts from July 8 through July 16 and offers exclusive discounts on Google (GOOG) - Get Report products, including:
- $24 off the Google Home Mini
- $60 off the Google Home Smart Speaker and Google Assistant
- $100 off the Google Nest Secure Alarm System Starter Pack
- $40 off the Google Nest Hello Smart Wi-Fi Video Doorbell
- $30 off the Google Nest Cam Outdoor Security Camera
In addition, Walmart will be offering thousands of deals during a sale that starts the day before Prime Day (July 14) and ends the day after (July 17). Walmart is also, during this time, offering free shipping on orders over $35, and like Target, membership is not required.
EBay (EBAY) - Get Report started their competitive deals back on July 1, and is the company most treating this as a rivalry. In fact, eBay is naming their July 15 day of deals the "Crash Sale," named so because if the Amazon website crashes like it has in Prime Days past, you can always check out eBay's selection instead.
EBay lists brands like Apple (AAPL) - Get Report , Samsung, Garmin, KitchenAid and LG as some where you will be able to find products for over 50% off during the Crash Sale. If you're too busy on the actual date of the 15th, eBay also has an ongoing "Hot Deals for Hot Days" sale that stretches from July 8-22, where new deals on technological devices, home appliances and more for up to 80% off go into effect every day.
Nordstrom (JWN) - Get Report will also have a sale, its own yearly tradition known as the "Anniversary Sale." The anniversary sale technically starts on July 19 and extends to Aug. 4, but if you're a Nordstrom cardholder, you are granted early access starting July 12.
In addition to sales on many of Nordstrom's biggest available apparel brands (J.Crew, Michael Kors (CPRI) - Get Report , etc.), perhaps the biggest selling point of Nordstrom's Anniversary Sale is that even the retailer's new arrivals will be available on sale. Men and women's apparel, beauty and makeup products are all there for you at marked-down prices.
GameStop (GME) - Get Report is currently in the middle of their "Game Days Summer Sale," which will be ongoing until July 20. If you're looking for deals on video games and consoles, you may want to check GameStop's sales to see how they compete with Amazon's deals.
This deal includes many games at massive discounts, including:
- $19.99 for The LEGO Marvel Collection on PlayStation 4 or Xbox One
- $2.97 for "Destiny 2" on PlayStation 4
- $49.97 for "Red Dead Redemption 2 Ultimate Edition" on PlayStation 4
- $16 for "Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege Year 4 Deluxe Edition" for Xbox One
GameStop is also, during the Game Days sale, offering $50 GameStop gift cards with Xbox One purchases, including Xbox One bundles with games like NBA 2K19 and Fortnite.