As Black Friday has continued to expand to more of Thanksgiving weekend, it has crept into the holiday itself. Now, it's not at all uncommon for some of the country's biggest retailers to start their in-store deals on Thanksgiving Day.
Many have adopted Black Friday as part of their tradition now, including camping outside the store prior to opening. Some places, like Walmart, (WMT) - Get Free Report even offer coffee and hot chocolate to those who show up early. It's a full-on event, and those who are looking to do it as early as they can will find plenty of options on Thanksgiving itself if they don't want to wait until the actual Friday.
Here are some notable stores that will be open on Thanksgiving Day. And more important, remember to be nice to the employees when you're there -- they are working on a particularly hectic holiday, after all.
What Stores Are Open on Thanksgiving Day?
Here are some of the stores that will open their doors to the public on Thanksgiving Day and the hours they'll be open for.
- Walmart, as it often does, will open its doors for Black Friday at 6 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day. And as mentioned, they will be offering coffee, hot chocolate and snacks to people waiting outside starting at 4 a.m.
- If 6 p.m. is somehow not early enough for you, Target (TGT) - Get Free Report will be opening at 5 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day. From there the store will be open until 1 a.m. before reopening on Black Friday proper at 7 a.m.
- Similarly, Kohl's (KSS) - Get Free Report will also be opening up for Black Friday at 5 p.m. Thanksgiving, though the online sale begins even earlier -- 12:01 a.m. central time Monday, Nov. 25.
- In most states, the Black Friday sale at Best Buy (BBY) - Get Free Report will begin at 5 p.m. on Thanksgiving, specifically going from 5 p.m. to 1 a.m. and then reopening at 8 a.m. Friday. In Maine, Massachusetts and Rhode Island they will be closed on Thursday. For Maine, Best Buy Black Friday will begin at 12:01 a.m. on Friday; for Massachusetts and Rhode Island, it will be 1 a.m.
- Macy's (M) - Get Free Reportwill open up on Thanksgiving at 5 p.m., and the specific hours beyond that will vary from store to store. Some will close late Thursday night before reopening Friday morning, while others will not close and will be open all night. Check your local Macy's for information on its specific hours.
- A store with one of the earliest opening times is JCPenney, (JCP) - Get Free Report which will open at 2 p.m. on Thanksgiving except where legally prohibited.
- Nearly as early, Old Navy locations plan to open at 3 p.m. Thanksgiving and stay open overnight, not closing until 11 p.m. on Black Friday. Check your local store to see if their hours may vary.
- GameStop (GME) - Get Free Report will be opening its doors to gamers at 3 p.m. on Thanksgiving before closing at 10 p.m. GameStop locations will reopen on Black Friday at 7 a.m. Those looking for online Black Friday sales can find them on the GameStop website beginning Wednesday the Nov. 27.
- Bed Bath & Beyond (BBBY) - Get Free Reporthas decided, for the first time, to open their Black Friday in-store sale on Thanksgiving Day. Doors will open at 5 p.m. that Thursday and close at midnight, before opening again at 6 a.m. on Black Friday.
- If you're going to Kmart on Thanksgiving, be extra nice to those employees. Hours for Kmart on Thanksgiving are 6 a.m. to midnight, opening again at 5 a.m. on Black Friday.
- Sears (SHLDQ) locations across the country will be open Thanksgiving Day from 6 p.m. to midnight, opening up again on Black Friday at 5 a.m.
- Though it may vary depending on location, there will be Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS) - Get Free Report locations that will be open Thanksgiving from 6 p.m. to 2 a.m., opening again at 5 a.m. Black Friday.
- The 24-hour CVS (CVS) - Get Free Report locations should be open Thanksgiving, though pharmacy hours may vary. Check your local CVS for hours on that specific location.
- Big Lots (BIG) - Get Free Report will have plenty of sales as it's open for basically all of Thanksgiving Day, from 7 a.m. all the way to midnight.
- Rite Aid (RAD) - Get Free Report24-hour locations should be open on Thanksgiving, though it may vary from location to location.
- The 24-hour Walgreens (WBA) - Get Free Report locations will also be open, while other locations will vary from store to store.
- Some select locations of Mattress Firm will also be open Thanksgiving Day.
- Craft store A.C. Moore will be open on Thanksgiving this year from 6 p.m. until 11 p.m. (except in Massachusetts and Maine, where it will be closed). It will reopen on Black Friday at 6 a.m.
- Dollar General (DG) - Get Free Report stores will be open and offering holiday deals Thanksgiving Day from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.
What Stores Are Closed on Thanksgiving Day?
The following are a few examples of stores will not be open on Thanksgiving Day, but will open up for Black Friday sales on the following day:
- Barnes & Noble is closed Thanksgiving before opening its doors to customers at 8 a.m. on Black Friday.
- Costco is closed Thanksgiving Day. Customers looking for groceries and door-buster sales (of which Costco (COST) - Get Free Report will have plenty) will have to wait until Friday.
- BJ's Wholesale will be open at 7 a.m. Black Friday, but is closed for Thanksgiving.
- Petco will be closed Thanksgiving, but is expected to be open at 8 a.m. on Black Friday.
- Petsmart is also closed Thanksgiving (though they are advertising online sales on that day) before reopening their locations on Friday.
- Staples is advertising that while they are closed Thanksgiving Day, you can order online that Thursday and pick up your order in-store as early as 7 a.m. Black Friday.
- Sam's Club may not be open on Thanksgiving, but their Black Friday sale starts at 7 a.m. Friday and extends through Sunday, Dec. 1.
- Academy Sports and Outdoors is not open Thursday, but outdoor enthusiasts can go Black Friday at 6 a.m. for various deals.
- Craft Warehouse will not be open to the public for the holiday until 6 a.m. on Black Friday.
- Fleet Farm, while closed for Thanksgiving, will open nice and early at 5 a.m. Friday.
- Office Depot (ODP) - Get Free Report and OfficeMax will be starting their in-store Black Friday sales at 8 a.m. Friday, though online sales begin early Thanksgiving Day.