Online auction and trading platform eBay, Inc. ( (EBAY) - Get eBay Inc. Report) transformed the marketplace. It got its start as AuctionWeb and has grown to become the #1 marketplace for all collectibles.
Though, TheStreet's Jim Cramer reviews eBay's earnings report and believes they could be expanding more through acquisitions.
Watch the video above for a look at its history.
- 1995: Founder Pierre Omidyar launches AuctionWeb, a site "dedicated to bringing together buyers and sellers in an honest and open marketplace." Canadian Mark Fraser purchases the first item that Omidyar lists -- a broken laser pointer.
- 1997: AuctionWeb is officially renamed eBay.
- 2002: eBay acquires PayPal, unifying the marketplace secure payment.
- 2005: eBay Acquires Skype. We complete our acquisition of pioneering Internet communications company Skype.
- 2007: eBay purchases StubHub and becomes the world's largest online marketplace for tickets.
- 2008: eBay goes public on September 21.
- 2009: Skype is sold to a group of investors while retaining a 30% stake in the company.
- 2014: eBay spins off PayPal on the Nasdaq stock exchange.
- 2017: eBay Authenticate Launches to guarantee the authenticity of luxury bags sold on eBay.
- 2021: eBay launches 2021 'Up & Running Grants' to support small businesses
- 2021: eBay initiates the buying and selling of NFT's
EBay's latest earnings bounced back from the previous earnings report, exceeding estimates