Nielsen has started counting the viewership numbers on new TV streaming services offered by Hulu and YouTube (GOOGL) - Get Report and counting those figures toward the official ratings for shows, the Wall Street Journal reports.
Nielsen is taking this step to further modernize its measurement standards as consumers continue to move away from tradition TV and into digital streaming.
"This is the first time we see major digital distribution platforms like Hulu and YouTube coming into the TV ratings," Nielsen president of production leadership Megan Clarken told the Journal. "We started investigating this capability three years ago. There are now more platforms that becoming available for live streaming."
More of What's Trending on TheStreet:
- Trump Just Resurrected the Ugly Practice Known as Civil Forfeiture for No Reason
- Birchbox Revolutionized How We Buy Beauty Products
- Falling Rats and Norovirus Sends Chipotle's Brand Image Plummeting: New Study
- 3 Things Tesla Doesn't Want to Admit
- It Is Time to Stop Blindly Trusting in the Apple iPhone - It Could Also Be Viciously Hacked