Alphabet's (GOOGL) - Get Report YouTube today announced another step in its initiative to end terrorist content on the site: redirecting people away from violent extremist propaganda and pointing them instead in the direction of videos that debunk its mythology.
"When people search for certain keywords on YouTube, we will display a playlist of videos debunking violent extremist recruiting narratives," YouTube wrote in a statement.
YouTube is using the Redirect Method pioneered by Alphabet's technology incubator Jigsaw and anti-extremism tech startup Moonshot CVE. Jigsaw and Moonshot analyzed how extremist groups leverage technology to recruit new members and created a method to steer internet users away from such content.
This is YouTube's latest effort to "help change the minds of people at risk of being radicalized." The site came under fire recently after major advertisers found their ads running alongside extremist propaganda videos.
Alphabet stock traded slightly down in early afternoon.
More of What's Trending on TheStreet:
- Chipotle CEO Should Be Canned for Not Apologizing to Sickened Customers in Virginia, Analyst Says
- O.J. Simpson's 4 Biggest Business Achievements
- Best Buy's Geek Squad Is a Mess According to Customer Reviews, Opening the Door for Amazon's Entry
- Sears' Kenmore Products on Amazon Is Hurting Home Depot, Jim Cramer Explains
- Former Apple Exec: 'It's Sad to See Apple Slipping to the Position of Follower'
- 5 Celebrities That Have Lost Big in Real Estate Like Golden State Warriors Star Steph Curry