WebMD Health Corp (WBMD) stock surged nearly 20% midday Monday following news private equity firm KKR & Co (KKR) - Get Report will purchase the online health publisher for about $2.8 billion, Reuters reported.
WebMD stock has traded nearly 19.4 million shares so far today versus the 30-day average of 528,258 shares per day.
KKR will pay $66.50 per share, which is a 20.5% premium to WebMD's Friday closing price. The deal is expected to close in the fourth quarter.
The deal will bring WedMD's websites including WebMD.com, Medscape.com and MedicineNet.com together with KKR's Internet Brands Inc sites, DentalPlans.com and AllAboutCounseling.com.
More of What's Trending on TheStreet:
- Walmart in Focus Amid 'Horrific' Human Trafficking Incident in Texas That Causes Nine Deaths
- Scaramucci Has Been Waiting For A White House Gig For A While
- Chipotle Is Doomed Unless It Takes This One Dramatic Measure
- Trump Just Resurrected the Ugly Practice Known as Civil Forfeiture for No Reason
- Billionaire Mark Cuban: The Rise of Technology Will Cause a Lot of Unemployment
- Game of Numbers: Do You Have Any Idea How Big Game of Thrones Has Become?