Cryptocurrencies have been crashing after hitting all-time highs, although leading virtual currency bitcoin has been holding up better than that rest. But, to well-known investor Doug Casey, they are just speculative vehicles.
"You have to consider them like penny stocks and treat them that way," he said in the last part of a three-part interview with Kitco News. 'You can't buy them now and look at them as a store of value because they are not.'
Despite a pullback, bitcoin is still up on the year, up over 100% since January, according to Kitco's aggregated charts. However, the well-known gold bug is not convinced. "Just like penny stocks, most of them are burning matches. I think you hold onto them long enough, you will get burned."
This story comes via www.kitco.com.
Watch more from Kitco News:
- This One Sentence From Yellen Caught My Attention - Peter Hug
- Why Silver's Mysterious Flash Crash Enraged This Trader
- Gold Heads for 5th Weekly loss as Rate Hike Chances Come Alive
- A New Way To Invest In Miners Hitting The Market?
- Can Silver Shake off this Summer Slump? Phil Streible's Take
- Turkey Safer Bet than British Columbia - Nolan Watson Talks Mariana Buyout