The sporty Lexus RC F tends to get mixed reviews in the blogosphere for being heavier than some BMWs. To those nit-picky folks, pipe down and show some respect to the speedy RC F.
Originally debuting in 2015, the 2017 version of the RC F features mostly suspension upgrades. And boy, did the improvements turn our test vehicle into one thrilling weekend ride.
Under the hood is a 5.0 liter V-8 engine rated at 467 horsepower. The impressive power-plant (in what is still a light car relatively speaking) rockets the RC F from 0 to 60 mph in about 4.4 seconds. Top speed is reportedly 170 mph, but the gauge displays more than 200 mph. Either way, we weren't going to push that limit out in suburban Long Island, New York. Flip on the sport plus mode, which opens up the exhaust to produce a loud growl, and it's very hard to not test 110 mph.
Meanwhile, the interior is rather reminiscent of General Motors' (GM) - Get General Motors Company (GM) ReportCorvette Grand Sport we tested last year -- seats that fit like a glove, everything within easy reach. Bluetooth, USB ports, satellite radio, automatic climate control and power tilt and telescoping steering wheel are standard. Given the steep $81,000 price tag on our test car, we would have liked to see better quality trim pieces.
In short, Toyota's (TM) - Get Toyota Motor Corp. Sponsored ADR Report Lexus brand should be darn proud of the RC F. It looks different (in a good way) relative to competing cars from BMW and Mercedes-Benz, and has the engine and suspension to back up the mean appearance.
Here's a quick walk around of the car.
Editors' pick: Originally published April 22.
Read more of TheStreet's coverage of the NY Auto Show:
- Cadillac Brings the Netflix Model To Your Driveway
- Audi Just Unveiled The Most Powerful TT Ever Built
- Why Toyota Decided to Radically Redesign Your Mom's Favorite Car, the Camry
- This Is the $45,000 Electric BMW With Recyled Seats That Targets Busy Urban Millennials
- Inside Audi's Mind Blowing R8 Sports Car With Laser Lights and a Killer Price Tag
- Here's When BMW Thinks You Will Be Able to Drive With No Hands
- Criminals Won't Be Able to Escape Ford's Mind Blowing New Hybrid Police Car