Sherwin Williams Co (SHW) - Get Sherwin-Williams Company Report cut its full year earnings guidance by more than $1 after the company said its $9.3 billion takeover of fellow paint-maker Valspar is going to be six times costlier than first expected, the Wall Street Journal reported.
Sherwin Williams expects annual earnings of $12.30 to $12.70 a share, down from $13.65 to $13.85 forecast in April. FactSet analysts forecasted earnings of $14.05 to $14.25.
The company will incur a $2.40 per-share charge for the year related to the Valspar deal instead of the previously anticipated 40-cent per-share charge. The new cost estimate is three times the expected gain from the acquisition. Sherwin Williams hoped to capitalize on Valspar's strength in retailers like Lowe's (LOW) - Get Lowe's Companies, Inc. Report , as Sherwin Williams typically relies heavily on its own stores for sales.
Sherwin Williams stock tumbled over 2% by mid-afternoon.
More of What's Trending on TheStreet:
- Chipotle CEO Should Be Canned for Not Apologizing to Sickened Customers in Virginia, Analyst Says
- O.J. Simpson's 4 Biggest Business Achievements
- Best Buy's Geek Squad Is a Mess According to Customer Reviews, Opening the Door for Amazon's Entry
- Sears' Kenmore Products on Amazon Is Hurting Home Depot, Jim Cramer Explains
- Former Apple Exec: 'It's Sad to See Apple Slipping to the Position of Follower'
- 5 Celebrities That Have Lost Big in Real Estate Like Golden State Warriors Star Steph Curry