The inquest follows another Reuters report in which the publication said the tobacco company had been using marketing tactics that disregard the country's law.
Philip Morris advertises Marlboro cigarettes at tobacco shops in India, while also distributing free cigarettes at nightclubs and bars visited by young people in order to promote the brand.
Government officials have previously said these marketing strategies violate the country's Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Products Act, Reuters added. Companies are able to get away with flouting the law because enforcement is weak.
Watch More with TheStreet:
- Sears' Kenmore Products on Amazon Is Hurting Home Depot, Jim Cramer Explains
- Consuelo Mack: There Are Many More Women Getting Into Financial Journalism
- Chipotle May Not Recover Until 2019 After Latest Health Scare
- 5 Celebrities That Have Lost Big in Real Estate
- O.J. Simpson Wasn't the First or the Last Athlete to Kiss a Major Endorsement Goodbye