The current patent disputes between Apple (AAPL) - Get Apple Inc. Report and Qualcomm (QCOM) - Get Qualcomm Inc Report illustrates the chipmaker's "anti-competitive" behavior and its "interlocking web of abusive practices," Intel (INTC) - Get Intel Corporation Report told the U.S. International Trade Commission.
Intel has accused Qualcomm of using the courts to squash its competition, and described itself as "Qualcomm's only remaining rival" in the market for chips for cell phones.
The commission had requested the statement as part of its probe into Qualcomm's allegation that Apple's iPhones infringe upon Qualcomm's mobile patents.
"Qualcomm did not initiate this investigation to stop the alleged infringement of its patent rights; rather, its complaint is a transparent effort to stave off lawful competition from Qualcomm's only remaining rival," Intel said. "This twisted use of the Commission's process is just the latest in a long line of anticompetitive strategies that Qualcomm has used to quash incipient and potential competitors and avoid competition on the merits."
More of What's Trending on TheStreet:
- History Doesn't Always Repeat, and Keep Tech in Your Portfolio: Market Recon
- The 5 FANG Stocks of the Dotcom Era -- and Where They Are Now
- Bored With Cream and Sugar? You Can Now Add Weed to Your Morning Joe
- Consuelo Mack: There Are Many More Women Getting Into Financial Journalism
- BMW Has One of the 10 Hot New Luxury Cars Priced Over $100,000 That You Could Buy Today
- Quiz: Which Company Makes Your Favorite Junk Food?